Sunday, May 01, 2005


Donkey Kong.
After being in my role for the past 16 months and 2 weeks, albeit having 3 different job titles due to restructure, I am now officially part of the proverbial Support Donkey roster.

Required to carry around a pager and mobile 24x7, getting woken up by a (non-critical) page 3am in the morning, dealing with multiple support queues via inefficient, slowass web pages, producing far too many ad-hoc reports and killing user sessions, all come with the territory.

I just hope that this isn't the beginning of the end of everything else. Watching one of my workmates, who’s been in the team for over 7 years, go through a marriage breakdown, losing custody of his child and kicked out of home, with this support role one of the major contributing factors to the relationship, I just hope that it isn’t going to happen to me (well, something to that affect since I’m not married with a kid or own my own home..). My workmates all comment I'm lucky that I'm young and not tied down in a relationship, but I still have to figure out if that’s a good or bad thing.

One of the positive things out of this role is that I get to learn more of the system than I could during my regular day-to-day tasks. Although since my knowledge of most of the system is next to nothing anyway, I’m gonna have to bug my workmates constantly to figure out any problem that arises. Gotta love being the newest member of the team.

Labels:



Comments: Post a Comment

[Powered by Blogger]